Today we wrap up the week with - Taylor Hawkins
Okay, sure. Taylor isn't Dave. But He's on topic, as he is a Foo Fighter. But did you also know this about Taylor?
- Prior to joining the Foo Fighters in 1997, he was the touring drummer for Alanis Morissette on her Jagged Little Pill and Can't Not Tour, as well as the drummer in a progressive experimental band called Sylvia. His cousin, Kevin Harrell, introduced him to Dave Grohl after camping with him for several weeks in the Ozarks. He was voted "Best Rock Drummer" in 2005 by the UK drumming magazine Rhythm.
- In 2004, Hawkins formed his own side project, Taylor Hawkins and the Coattail Riders, in which he plays drums and sings.
- He occasionally plays with a Police cover band alternately called "The Cops" and "Fallout."
- At Live Earth in 2007, Hawkins was part of SOS Allstars with Roger Taylor of Queen and Chad Smith of Red Hot Chili Peppers.
- Taylor played "YYZ" with Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson of Rush on stage at a concert in Toronto on March 22, 2008.
- Hawkins recorded the drum tracks for the Coheed and Cambria album "Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for Tomorrow" as the band's regular drummer, Chris Pennie, was not able to record due to contractual reasons. Also, Hawkins toured with Coheed and Cambria shortly during the months of the album.
- Hawkins can also be heard drumming on Eric Avery's (formerly of Jane's Addiction) first solo effort, Help Wanted and on Kerry Ellis's album, "Wicked in Rock."
- Hawkins and Grohl split drumming duties on Harmony & Dissidence, the latest album by Foo Fighters bandmate Chris Shiflett's own side project, Jackson United.
- Taylor Hawkins recorded the drum for the track "Anche se," from Vasco Rossi's demo.
- Hawkins played on the track "Cyborg," from Queen guitarist Brian May's 1998 solo album, Another World; he also played drums at VH1's Rock Honors 2006 while Queen performed "We Will Rock You." He sang backing vocals on the Queen + Paul Rodgers single, "C-lebrity."
- Hawkins was commissioned to complete an unfinished recording of a song by Beach Boys' drummer Dennis Wilson titled "Holy Man" by writing and singing new lyrics. The recording was released in June 2008 as part of a deluxe edition of Wilson's lone 1977 solo album, Pacific Ocean Blue.
- While the Foo Fighters were on break, Hawkins played in a three-piece cover band, Chevy Metal, that played lesser known tracks by ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Deep Purple, Van Halen, Queen, and Black Sabbath. Hawkins continues to play in Chevy Metal, except with fellow Foo Fighters bandmate Chris Shiflett now on guitar.
- Taylor Hawkins appears on Slash's solo album Slash, released in 2010, providing backing vocals on the track "Crucify the Dead," featuring Ozzy Osbourne.
- In 2011, Taylor recorded drums for songs by Vasco Rossi.
- In June 2012, it was announced that Hawkins was cast in the role of Iggy Pop in the rock film CBGB.
- Taylor recorded the drums on Vasco Rossi's last song, "L'uomo più semplice." This song was released on January 21 in Italy.
- In March 2014, Taylor announced his new side project called The Birds of Satan. It features Hawkins' drum technician and bandmate from Chevy Metal, Wiley Hodgden on bass guitar and vocals as well as guitarist Mick Murphy also of Chevy Metal. The band's self-titled debut album was released in April 2014, with a release party at 'Rock n Roll Pizza' featuring the Foo Fighters guesting on some of the cover tracks.
Taylor Hawkins is chock full of talent.
Here is Taylor singing with Foo Fighters (Dave Grohl traded him places for this night) http://youtu.be/lZ_vPKhisJc
And this is my favorite Taylor Hawkins and the Coattail Riders song: http://youtu.be/pxpeAea76Tg
This is a close runner-up: http://youtu.be/95xUJ0E3BPQ