Who is Rubber Clown Car?
They've been described as:
... a mixture of XTC, Bob Mould, the Damned, the Who, GBV, the Replacements, and Matthew Sweet...
... the Beatles on Quaaludes...
Rubber Clown Car is:
Dirk Prysby - Guitars, Vocals
Fred Beasley - Drums, Vocals, Guitars
Tony Pantalones - Bass, Keys, Everything else
Always in search of the perfect pop song Rubber Clown Car loves power-pop, punk, rock, pop, and anything with great lyrics. Formed in 2006 the band continues to write and record songs (including selected covers) while trying to make sense of the absurdity and complexity of everyday life. Pure Pop for Paranoid People.
Dirk took the time to answer my cheesy questions:
1) When did you first start singing? I was always "singing" as a kid (much to my parents dismay) but I never got close to serious until I joined a Beatles cover band prior to Rubber Clown Car starting up. There I learned how to sing a bit, especially learning how to pick out harmonies. I think that's where my love and appreciation of 60's style music and songwriting started.
2) What was the first song you recall singing? Probably something from TV or my uncle's record collection (he had a lot of great stuff). Maybe something by Tom Jones...
3) Who are your musical inspirations? Whew! Lots of them. The Beatles, XTC, the Who, the Damned, Bob Mould, The Replacements, the Buzzcocks, Guided by Voices. A lot of 60's, punk, and post-punk influences. As a guitar player - Pete Townshend, Bob Mould, Buck Dharma, Richard Lloyd, Robert Quine, Brian May. I always love guitar players with their own identity.
4) What genre of music do you listen to today? Pop, Rock, Acoustic - really anything. I love to find out who influenced a band I like then find out who influenced THEM and just keeping digging back in time.
5) What embarrassing songs might I find on your MP3 player? Ha! All of them! Probably some sappy 60's pop song
6) Where would you most like to perform? We don't play live currently (we did for the first record), but playing at Wembley might be fun!
7) If you weren't singing, what would you be doing? We all have full-time jobs, music is our passion and our sanity. I can't imagine ever not doing this.
8) What instruments do you play? I (Dirk) play guitar, bass, mandolin, ukulele, some keyboards. Tony plays bass, keyboards and ukulele. Fred plays drums, percussion and guitar
9) If you could dabble in another genre of music, what would it be? Probably funk. We love that old 70's style funk. Tight arrangements and impossibly catchy.
10) What other talents do you have? I can be a pretty good mimic and comedian. Tony can draw a bit. Fred has a great memory for old Hard Rock bands and details
11) What is your favorite song to belt out at the bar/in the car/for karaoke? Anything by the Doors. Probably Roadhouse Blues
12) If you could sing a duet with any musician, living or dead, who would it be? For me it would be Bob Mould or Matthew Sweet. For Tony I know it's Tom Jones. For Fred anybody works cause Fred really doesn't sing
13) What is the hardest thing about being in the music business? Probably just trying to get someone's attention. Trying to be heard and find your audience.
14) What has been the best advice you have ever been given? Life is too important to be taken seriously. And don't worry about what people think about you. If they say you're horrible or you're great treat it all the same way. Say "Thank You" and just keep on doing whatever it is you do.
Please give Rubber Clown Car a like and a follow on their social media, it would greatly be appreciated!
Our official home page is:
Rubber Clown Car Channel on You Tube
And our newest CD "Rubber Clown Car" is available at CD Baby:
We're available on I-tunes too
Thank you, Dirk, for taking the time to share your story and music with us!
Dirk adds: Kiss You Next Week is a power pop song we wrote about the confusion of young love. We really enjoy power pop and we feel that we're closing in a truly great song one day (I don't think we've hit it yet, but we have it in us.)
Oh, and stay tuned for something really special for the upcoming Battle of the Bands!
What does tomorrow bring?
Tune in to find out!
Are you an artist or band that would like to be featured?
visit http://bit.ly/1UsFu6u for more info
visit http://bit.ly/1UsFu6u for more info