#4M : Have Yourself An Offensive Christmas
Today’s theme for #MondaysMusicMovesMe or #4M has been chosen by Marie of Xmas Dolly. She has chosen all of the themes for the month of December. As her name implies, she is a big fan of the Christmas Holiday, and as such has she has chosen the entire month to be Holiday music. Let the collective groan begin.
Last week wasn’t so bad, was it? One down, three to go ! (Make that two down, two to go after today!)
I wanted to do something fun for today. This story has been all over the internet lately about radio stations pulling “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” because some people find the lyrics offensive. This other piece has been circulating the internet as well - you know darn well that I’m using it as my playlist for today!
The post going viral:
If you decide to pull “Baby it’s Cold Outside” from its playlist because someone was offended, I feel that these other holiday songs must also be removed as they are offensive as well. Do so immediately.
- I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus: subjecting minors to softcore porn
- The Christmas Song: Open fire? Pollution. Folks dressed up like Eskimos? Cultural appropriation
- Holly Jolly Christmas: Kiss her once for me? Unwanted advances
- White Christmas? Racist (For irony - I chose The Drifters video over Bing Crosby)
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town: Sees you when you’re sleeping? Knows when you’re awake? Peeping Tom stalker
- Most Wonderful Time of the Year: Everyone telling you be of good cheer? Forced to hide depression
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: Bullying
- It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas: Forced gender-specific gifts: dolls for Janice and Jen and boots and pistols (GUNS!) for Barney and Ben
- Santa Baby: Gold digger, blackmail
- Frosty the Snowman: Sexist; not a snow woman
- Do You Hear What I Hear: blatant disregard for the hearing impaired
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas: Make the yuletide GAY? Wow, just wow
- Jingle Bell Rock: Giddy up jingle horse, pick up your feet: animal abuse
- Mistletoe and Holly: Overeating, folks stealing a kiss or two? How did this song ever see the light of day?
- Winter Wonderland: Parson Brown demanding they get married…forced partnership
- Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer: Murder! And no one seems to care. Call Nancy Grace!
Now please enjoy this playlist and be properly offended!
Today’s post is part of the Monday’s Music Moves Me blog hop, hosted by X-Mas Dolly, and co-hosted by JAmerican Spice, Stacy Uncorked, Curious as a Cathy. , and Ramblin with AM. Be sure to stop by the hosts and visit the other participants. If you have a MUSIC* post, feel free to join in the fun! *sorry non-music posts are not permitted in this bloghop.