#4M : Shadow Songs
Today’s theme for #MondaysMusicMovesMe or #4M has been chosen by “The Shadow”. They will be the ‘music conductor’ for the month of January. This week our mysterious musical conductor has requested that we choose tunes with the word ‘Shadow’ in them.
Alrighty then, Mr Shadow. This seems like a good challenge and I am up for it!
I managed to come up with a few right away, without having to dig too deep into the recesses of my brain and without having to utilize my friend, Google.
- Frank Sinatra & Sammy Davis Jr - Me and My Shadow
- Officially the credits show it as written by Al Jolson, Billy Rose, and Dave Dreyer; in fact, Billy Rose was exclusively a lyricist, Dreyer a composer, and Al Jolson a performer who was often given credits so he could earn more money. The song goes back to 1927. The first recording I could find was done by Whispering Jack Smith. Most are familiar with the Frank Sinatra/Sammy Davis Jr version, so that is why I went with them - plus their performance is a kick to watch.
- Andy Gibb - Shadow Dancing
- The song was written by Andy and his brothers (Barry, Maurice and Robin Gibb) in Los Angeles, while the trio of brothers were working on the film Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. The brothers were relaxing one evening and put this song together in a matter of 10 minutes. The song reached #1 in 1978 and stayed in that position for seven weeks.
- Fiona Apple - Shadowboxer
- This song was written by Fiona Apple. It was released in 1996 as her debut single from her debut studio album. The song charted inside the Top 40 of 2 different Billboard charts. It spent six weeks on the Alternative Songs chart, peaking at number 34. It fared much better on the Adult Pop Songs, peaking at number 32 and spent over 15 weeks on the chart.
- Pat Benatar - Shadows Of The Night
- Written by DL Byron for the 1980 film "Times Square", but it didn't make it into the movie, and Byron's record label rejected the song. Helen Schneider released the song in 1981 where it went 5 times Platinum in Germany and Benelux countries. Rachel Sweet also recorded and released this song in 1981, where it reached #13 on the Billboard Hot 100 and reached #3 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Chart. In 1982, Pat Benatar released her version. She won a Grammy for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance in 1983 with this song.
- Anne Murray - Shadows In the Moonlight
- This song was written by Charlie Black and Rory Michael Bourke. Anne Murray recorded and released the song in 1979 as the second single from her album 'New Kind of Feeling'. The song reached #1 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles Chart.
- Linkin Park - Shadow Of The Day
- The band Linkin Park is credited for writing this song. The song was released as the third single for their third studio album 'Minutes to Midnight' in 2007.
Today’s post is part of the Monday’s Music Moves Me blog hop, hosted by X-Mas Dolly, and co-hosted by JAmerican Spice, Stacy Uncorked, Curious as a Cathy. , and Ramblin with AM. Be sure to stop by the hosts and visit the other participants. If you have a MUSIC* post, feel free to join in the fun! *sorry non-music posts are not permitted in this bloghop.