#4M: Under The Influence
Welcome back for Monday’s Music Moves Me (aka #4M)
It’s another Free Choice Week! It’s been a while since the last ‘Under the Influence’ post, so I thought today would be a good time to post another.
So who has me under their influence today?
Today, I’m under the influence of another band member of the Foo Fighters. You may or may not know this, but just about each of the band members have at least one side project in addition to their duties as members of Foo Fighters. I’ve mentioned in the past a few of Dave Grohl’s side projects, and Chris (Shifty) Shiflett’s side projects. Today it’s Taylor Hawkins turn.
A little about Taylor -
He got his musical start as a drummer for Alanis Morissette. It was shortly after the ‘Jagged Little Pill’ tour that he joined Foo Fighters. As one of his first side projects - he started a band with a former bandmate from his Alanis Morissette days. This band was called ‘Taylor Hawkins & The Coattail Riders’. They released their first album in 2006. He also has other side project bands called ‘Chevy Metal’ and ‘Birds of Satan’.
Today is all about Taylor Hawkins & The Coattail Riders - as they have a third album that is releasing in just a few days (Nov 8)
In this side project, Taylor plays drums and vocals. Other members include Chris Chaney (Jane’s Addiction & Alanis Morissette) on bass, Nate Wood on guitar, along with a myriad of guest performers. This most recent album has a guest list that includes fellow Foo Fighters Dave Grohl and Pat Smear, Roger Taylor, Joe Walsh, Duff McKagan, Nancy Wilson, Chrissie Hynde, Perry Farrell, LeAnn Rimes and more.
I’ve put together a setlist of the singles that have been already released for this new album, along with some of the previous Coattail Riders music.
- Crossed The Line
- Get The Money
- Middle Child - a quick story about this song. Taylor’s oldest child sometimes joins him on tour with the Foo Fighters and is becoming quite the drummer. Taylor had written a song for him, and his middle child (his daughter) said ‘If he gets a song, you have to write one for me, too!) Turns out the song he wrote for his son got nixed from the album because his son thought the song was ‘too soft’.
- Louise (from first album)
- Wasted Energy (from first album)
- Better You Than Me (from first album)
- Not Bad Luck (from 2nd album)
- Your Shoes (from 2nd album)
- I Don’t Think I Trust You Anymore (from 2nd album)
- James Gang (from 2nd album)
Does your favorite band or artist have side projects? Who has you under the influence? Tell me about it in the comments below.
Today’s post is part of the Monday’s Music Moves Me blog hop, hosted by X-Mas Dolly, and co-hosted by JAmerican Spice, Stacy Uncorked, Curious as a Cathy. , and Ramblin with AM. Be sure to stop by the hosts and visit the other participants. If you have a MUSIC* post, feel free to join in the fun! *sorry non-music posts are not permitted in this blog hop.