Time to hit the road!
The premise behind this theme is to pick a location, and highlight some or all of the musical artists (not inclusive) that are associated with that location. The locations will not be limited to the continental United States. We’re going Everywhere!
From Portland (our previous stop) we’re going to head northeast to Montana, where our venue today will feature these artists:
Today’s Roadtrip Playlist:
- Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam - Jeff was born in Havre, Montana just about 2 years before I spent my first night on earth at that very same hospital. He grew up in Big Sandy, the same town that I was born. Unfortunately, my family picked up and moved to Idaho when I was just 6 months old. Jeff is also a member of the bands Temple of the Dog, Three Fish, RNDM, and Tres Mts. Today’s Song: Black
- Bruce Fairweather - Bruce met Jeff Ament while attending college at University of Montana. They moved to Seattle together, and Bruce was a member of Green River, Mother Love Bone, and Love Battery. Today’s song: Stargazer
- Robert (Bob) Fletcher - a poet and engineer with the Department of Highways in Helena, Montana. Cole Porter, who had been asked to write a cowboy song for the 20th Century Fox musical, bought the poem from Fletcher for $250. Porter reworked Fletcher's poem, and when the song was first published, Porter was credited with sole authorship. The song was popularized by Roy Rogers in 1944. Today’sSong: Don’t Fence Me In
- Doug Adkins - Just six months after Jeff Ament was born, Doug Adkins was born at that same hospital. Doug Adkins is a country music singer and songwriter. Today’s song was nominated for "Best Country Song of the Year" in 2008 by the "Independent Music Awards" . Today’s Song: Whiskey Salesman
- John Mayer - Like so many other celebs, John visited Montana and fell in love with the state. He purchased property in Bozeman, and settled in during the spring of 2012. His album Paradise Valley is named for where he lives in Montana and features country music influences. Today’s Song: Paper Doll
I’m trying to keep the playlists to 5 tunes each, so if you know of an artist associated with the location that was not featured, be sure to mention them in the comments. There’s always a good chance we’ll be re-visiting locations. I’m also open to suggestions for locations. In the meantime, I’m just meandering around the continent.
See you again soon!