Time to hit the road!
The premise behind this theme is to pick a location, and highlight some or all of the musical artists (not inclusive) that are associated with that location. The locations will not be limited to the continental United States. We’re going Everywhere!
From Iowa (our previous stop) we’re going to head Northeast to Ontario. Ottawa to be exact. Our venue today has put together a small concert featuring artists from Ottawa and other non-Toronto locations in Ontario. It is rumored that we will be going to Toronto next week :)
Today’s Roadtrip Playlist:
- Avril Lavigne - Avril Ramona Lavigne (; French: [avʁil laviɲ]; born September 27, 1984) is a Canadian singer, songwriter, and actress. By the age of 15, she had appeared on stage with Shania Twain and by 16, she had signed a two-album recording contract with Arista Records worth more than $2 million. Her debut studio album, Let Go (2002), emphasized a skate punk persona that has earned her the title "Pop Punk Queen". Today’s Song: Girlfriend
- Alanis Morissette - Alanis Nadine Morissette (; born June 1, 1974) is a Canadian-American singer, songwriter, record producer, and actress. Known for her emotive mezzo-soprano voice, Morissette began her career in Canada in the early 1990s with two mildly successful dance-pop albums. Today’s Song: Ironic
- Sum 41 - Sum 41 is a Canadian rock band from Ajax, Ontario. Originally called Kaspir, the band was formed in 1996 and currently consists of lead vocalist, guitarist and keyboardist Deryck Whibley, guitarist and backing vocalist Dave Baksh, guitarist, keyboardist and backing vocalist Tom Thacker, bassist and backing vocalist Jason "Cone" McCaslin, and drummer Frank Zummo. In 1999, Sum 41 signed an international record deal with Island Records and released its first EP. Today’s Song: In Too Deep
- Gordon Lightfoot - Gordon Meredith Lightfoot Jr. (born November 17, 1938) is a Canadian singer-songwriter who achieved international success in folk, folk-rock, and country music. He is credited with helping to define the folk-pop sound of the 1960s and 1970s. He is often referred to as Canada's greatest songwriter and is known internationally as a folk-rock legend. Today’s Song: Sundown
- Paul Anka - Paul Albert Anka, (born July 30, 1941) is a Canadian-American singer, songwriter and actor. He wrote such well-known music as the theme for The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson and one of Tom Jones's biggest hits, "She's a Lady". He also wrote the English lyrics to Claude François and Jacques Revaux's music for Frank Sinatra's signature song, "My Way", which has been recorded by many, including Elvis Presley. Today’s Song: Put Your Head On My Shoulder
I’m trying to keep the playlists to 5 tunes each, so if you know of an artist associated with the location that was not featured, be sure to mention them in the comments. There’s always a good chance we’ll be re-visiting locations. I’m also open to suggestions for locations. In the meantime, I’m just meandering around the continent.
See you again soon!