Time to hit the road!
The premise behind this theme is to pick a location, and highlight some or all of the musical artists (not inclusive) that are associated with that location. The locations will not be limited to the continental United States. We’re going Everywhere!
We were last in Alberta, so today we’re continuing east to Manitoba.
Today’s Roadtrip Playlist:
- Tom Cochrane - best known as the frontman for the rock band Red Rider and for his work as a solo singer-songwriter. Cochrane has won eight Juno Awards. He is a member of the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, an officer of the Order of Canada, and has an honorary doctorate from Brandon University. In September 2009, he was inducted onto the Canadian Walk of Fame. Today’s Song: Life Is A Highway
- Bachman-Turner Overdrive - Canadian rock group from Winnipeg, Manitoba founded by Randy Bachman and Fred Turner. Their 1970s catalogue included five Top 40 albums and six US Top 40 singles (eleven in Canada). The band has sold nearly 30 million albums worldwide, and has fans affectionately known as "gearheads" (derived from the band's gear-shaped logo) Today’s Song: Taking Care of Business
- Crash Test Dummies - Canadian rock band from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Today’s Song: Superman Song
- The Guess Who - formed in Winnipeg in 1962. Initially gaining recognition in Canada, the group found international success from the late 1960s through the mid-1970s primarily under the leadership of songwriters Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman (later of Bachman–Turner Overdrive) Today’s Song: No Sugar Tonight / New Mother Nature
- Neil Young - born in Ontario, but his musical career started in Winnipeg. Later, he moved to Los Angeles, joining Buffalo Springfield with Stephen Stills, Richie Furay and others. Since his early solo albums and those with his backing band Crazy Horse, Young has been prolific, recording a steady stream of studio and live albums. Today’s Song: Heart of Gold
I’m trying to keep the playlists to 5 tunes each, so if you know of an artist associated with the location that was not featured, be sure to mention them in the comments. There’s always a good chance we’ll be re-visiting locations.
See you again soon!